Kim Bjorn & Chris Meyer PATCH & TWEAK
PATCH & TWEAK - Exploring Modular Synthesis
The new book about modular synths, their makers, and masters. Patching secrets, performance tips, history, modules, and techniques.
PATCH & TWEAK provides an opportunity for new and experienced users to become true masters of their modular systems by exploring, explaining, and demystifying a range of topics relevant to anyone interested in modular synths or just synthesis itself.
A cornerstone of PATCH & TWEAK is a bouquet of inspirational interviews with significant creators and major artists. Learn about their systems, philosophies, patching secrets, performance tips, and passion for modular synthesis. ,Besides a comprehensive introduction to synthesis and its history, the book covers systematic sections on concepts, purpose and creative possibilities of specific modules. Enjoy colorful diagrams, presentations of both popular and rare modules, semi-modular and software, as well as techniques for patching and how to get started.
PATCH & TWEAK has a foreword by Suzanne Ciani, is written by Kim Bjørn and Chris Meyer, and edited by Paul Nagle.
Interviews with modular artists Caterina Barbieri, Ian Boddy, Russell E. L. Butler, Richard Devine, Hataken, Bana Haffar , Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL , Andrew Huang , Lady Starlight , NODE , Robert Rich , Robin Rimbaud / Scanner , Hans Zimmer , and many more.
Interviews with creators and brands in the modular world. Modular creators and brands, which are particularly evident to the scene, are featured in specific interviews, including Verbos Electronics, Frap Tools, Mutable Instruments, WMD, Make Noise Music, Intellijel, Endorphin.es, 4ms Company, Noise Engineering, Rossum Electro-Music, Erica Synths, and Music Thing Modular. Others including Doepfer, Buchla, Serge, Moog, Synthesizers.com and many more will also be featured.
• Introduction to Modular Synthesis (Harmonics, Voltage Control, etc.)
• Formats and history (timeline and stories on the beginnings, 5U, Moog, Serge, Eurorack, Buchla, etc.)
• Starting Points (software, semi-modular, systems, etc.)
• Interfacing With Modular (audio in/out, MIDI, computer integration, etc.)
• Sound Sources (VCOs, Percussion Synthesis, Sampling, etc.)
• Sound Modifiers (VCFs, Waveshapers, VCAs & LPGs, Mixers & Attenuators, Effects)
• Envelopes & Modulators (Envelope Generators, LFOs, Random Sources, CV Recorders)
• Essential Utilities (Voltage Processors, Signal Routing, Multifunction Modules)
• Notes, Clock, and Triggers (Clock Generation, Sequencers, Rythm Pattern Generators, Logic Modules, Touch Controllers)
• Index, Glossary, Resources
• Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.5 cm (9.6 x 9.6 inches)
• Weight: 5 lbs
• Printed in Denmark on 130g acid-free quality paper