BJOOKS Push Turn Move
Interface Design in Electronic Music
NEW Updated 2021-version with stunning new print and paper quality! Featuring more than 30 new or updated instruments — including the Polyend Tracker, the new Haken Continuum models, ASM Hydrasynth, Sensel Morph, Novation Launchpad X, and many others.
The new book on electronic music instruments. Meet the artists, designers, makers and their instruments and see how they have shaped the world of electronic music.
• Foreword by electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre
• Sound: How is sound visualized in music soft- and hardware?
• Control: How can you shape sound through tangible and digital controls? Learn about different controls (knobs, faders, touch strips, buttons, screens etc.) and their variations and possibilities.
• Layout: How do you organize an interface for sound-creation? Get an overview of design principles and techniques for designing interfaces of electronic music instruments and controllers.
• Concept: How has different instrument-makers solved the challenges of visualizing and controlling sound? See examples of hardware, software, apps etc. of Digital Audio Workstations, Grid-based sequencing, Modular Synthesizers, Collaborative tools, Radial, Gestural interfaces.
• User: How do you design the best possible experience for musicians? Learn about user-centered interface design, usability, workflows, experience design
• Time: How did we get to where we are? Read about the evolution and revolutions of electronic music interfaces - from the Theremin and EMS VCS3 to Buchla, the Minimoog, TB303, Yamaha Tenori-On, Monome, Ableton Live and various other hard- and software that have shaped electronic music making through the times.
• Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.5 cm (9.6 x 9.6 inches)
• Weight: 5 lbs
• Printed in Denmark on 150g acid-free quality paper