Altered FM Synth
The opsix represents a new and expansive reimagination of classic digital synthesis. Much like Korg did when bringing wave sequencing back in a more powerful, more musical, and more immediately accessible way with wavestate, so was the approach to FM sound generation of the opsix, resulting in another incredibly flexible and unique synth.
The opsix is an “altered” six-operator FM synthesizer. With its astoundingly accessible operator mixer and flexible sound engine that goes well beyond traditional FM, this instrument widens the potential of digital synthesizers to their utmost. The opsix is an instrument for players of all generations—modern in every way, getting back to the basics to offer you a glimpse of the future. Whether you are new to synths, looking for a completely unique addition to your sound palate, or an original FM purist, opsix will deliver on all expectations and more.
The 16 buttons on the bottom right-hand part of the panel glow green with the colors that evoke FM synths, while providing you with a multipurpose 16-step sequencer. With this onboard polyphonic note sequencer, you can record up to six notes per step, and edit the velocity, gate time and playback timing for each note. This lets you create long phrases or make subtle shifts in timing to emulate strums or drum rolls, something that’s not possible on a typical 16-step sequencer. Also, the motion sequencer of the opsix lets you record changes of up to six parameters, creating smooth motion changes in sound within a phrase, or building rhythms that change dramatically with each step. While the opsix has an easy-to-use 37-note keyboard, it also features a sequencer that rivals that of grooveboxe’s. Just press the PLAY button—you’ll be floored by the power that this sequencer lets you unleash.
Use the Randomize feature as found on the wavestate if you’re in the mood for unexpected sonic discoveries. Press the button marked with the die icon to generate a newly randomized sound. You can use the Randomize feature for the entire sound, or just for the operators, the algorithm or the sequences. Use the randomized sounds as-is or edit them as you like—the sky’s the limit.
• True six-operator FM synthesis, and more
• FM exploration, easier than ever
• Full editing with the DATA ENTRY rotary encoders
• Five operator modes that expand FM synthesis
• 40 preset algorithms and user algorithms
• Three EGs, three LFOs and 12 virtual patches offer an extensive range of modulation
• Eleven powerful filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
• Three series of 30 types of high-definition effects
• Visually-satisfying editing with a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope
• Powerful 16-step polyphonic sequencer
• Adding unpredictability to sounds with the Randomize feature
• Favorite and smooth sound transition (SST) functions
• Compact design featuring a 37-key keyboard
• Dimensions: 22.24” x 13.31” x 3.54”
• Weight: 9.93 lbs
In the Box
• The opsix itself
• KA390 power supply
Fine FM unit. So far, big fun.