Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Voltage Lab Blackbox
Desktop Research Module
The Lifeforms Voltage Lab Blackbox is a complete, standalone desktop format modular synthesizer featuring the Voltage Lab synthesizer voice. A full compliment of experimental analog tools created for deep sonic research stuffed into a portable, powered steel enclosure. The Voltage Lab Blackbox is a different type of analog synthesizer, where every function of the instrument has been influenced by the behaviors and systems of the natural world. Wildly experimental and extremely deep, the Lifeforms Voltage Lab Blackbox is a sonic playground created to explore the natural systems and lesser known fringes of analog synthesis.
The unique sound palette of the Lifeforms Voltage Lab originates with a complex oscillator pair that utilizes a wide range of shaping and manipulation options to move away from basic geometric shapes to more harmonically rich tones. A custom wave folder with enhanced waveform warping, linear FM, amplitude modulation, ring modulation, waveform cycling, hard sync, and more are available for extreme sonic research.
A set of multi-function generators work as interactive voltage processing systems to create and modify complex control voltages. The function generators act as voltage controllable envelopes, LFOs, slew generators, and more to produce evolving control signals.
Twin dynamics controllers pull everything together. A unique circuit expanding on the classic low pass gate, the dynamics controller with variable response adds an organic depth to the sound of the Lifeforms Voltage Lab by simulating the natural behavior of sound. The multi-mode signal processor features a 12db resonant filter, VCA, and percussive low pass gate modes.
Sound interacts with the world around it. The Voltage Lab uses analog delay to simulate this interaction and create an artificial sense of time and space. Manipulation of delay time and feedback add depth and warmth through reverb, chorus, flanging, Doppler, slap back, and echo type effects.
Chaos is everywhere. Random gates and control voltages spark uncontrolled reactions, disrupt systems, and generate ideas. The Voltage Lab utilizes noise, stepped random CV, a pseudo-random sequence generator, pitched random CV, pitched random sequences, and random gates to add multiple levels of unpredictability to any patch.
• A pair of temperature stabilized, analog saw core oscillators create the foundation of the complex waveforms generator.
• Twin multi-function, periodic control voltage generators
• Organic and percussive, the Voltage Lab dynamics controllers are an evolution of the venerable low pass gate
• A true bucket brigade analog delay with voltage controlled time
• Midi to CV converter with assignable CC/Modulation output and variable pitch bend paired with a multi-mode arpeggiator.
• Weight: 3.5lbs. (1.6kg)
In the Box
• The desktop module itself
• 6 Pittsburgh Modular patch cables
• 1/8" stereo jack to midi connector cable
• Universal Power Adapter
• Black Powder Coat Steel Construction