Roland SE-02 Synthesizer
A collaborative effort from Roland and Studio Electronics, the SE-02 is the debut product of the new Roland Boutique Designer Series. The SE-02 uses authentic discrete analog circuitry to create a synthesizer with a distinctly vintage sound and vast programming options. With an array of high-quality knobs and switches and a uniquely creative onboard sequencer, the SE-02 delivers massive tone and texture with expressive hands-on control.
The SE-02's monophonic synthesizer engine features three voltage-controlled oscillators, a voltage-controlled 24 dB low-pass filter, and a dual gain-stage amplifier. The oscillators have six different kinds of waveforms with the warmth and complex character associated with true analog VCOs. What's more, these VCOs are temperature stabilized with automatic tuning, so you get all the benefits and none of the downsides.
While it's a compact “go-anywhere” device, the knobs, switches, and buttons are sturdy and plentiful, giving you a vast palette of sound-shaping capabilities at your fingertips. Everything is hands-on and knob-per-function, with deep control and a logical, intuitive layout. To get started, you can choose from 384 expertly programmed preset sounds that cover a wide range of classic and modern tones. Tweak and modify these sounds or create something completely new, storing your own custom creations in the 128 available user locations.
The SE-02 is built solidly with a rugged metal top and quality knobs and switches. And despite having a control for just about everything, it's small enough to take just about anywhere. Due to its Roland Boutique format, it fits in our K-25m or DK-01 accessory docks, so you can add an integrated 25-key mini keyboard or have various tilt options for easy access in a variety of live and studio situations.
The SE-02 includes a powerful 16-step sequencer to add motion and dimension to your sounds. It can sync to external tempo via MIDI, USB, or trigger input, and per-step gate time, adjustable glide, tempo, and patch number are stored with each sequence. Creative performance features allow you to set shuffle, scale, direction, and first/last steps on the fly. Even synth parameters can be automated by sequencing changes-just press a step and move a control. And despite the SE-02s compact size, the sequencer is fun and intuitive, lending itself to both studio and live usage. You can store 128 sequence patterns and construct 16 songs, each with up to 16 parts.
• Discrete analog circuitry with knob-per-function interface
• Three voltage controlled oscillators with six waveforms
• Temperature-stabilized oscillators with automatic tuning
• 24 dB low-pass filter and dual gain-stage amplifier
• Three types of cross modulation (XMOD), feedback loop, and noise generator
• Tempo-syncing LFO with nine waveforms
• Tempo-syncing digital delay with bypass to maintain analog signal path
• Save and recall sounds with 384 preset and 128 user locations
• Musical and intuitive pattern sequencer with song mode
• Sequence notes, gate time, glide, and synth parameters
• CV, VCF CV and gate inputs, plus trigger in/out
• External Input for routing audio through the SE-02's filter section
• Standard MIDI, USB-MIDI, and USB-Audio
• Create a polyphonic synth by using Chain Mode to connect two or more SE-02s together via MIDI