Sequential Prophet-5 Keyboard
Legendary 5-voice Analog Poly Synth
The new Prophet-5 is Dave Smith’s timely return to the analog poly synth that changed the world. It’s “the best of all Prophet-5s” as Dave puts it because it embodies all three revisions of the legendary synth — Rev1, Rev2, and Rev3 — through the use of genuine Curtis analog VCOs and filters (as in the Rev3) as well as new 2140 low-pass filters designed by Dave Rossum, like the 2040 filters he designed in the original Rev1 and Rev2. A Rev switch lets you choose between the two filter designs. The result is as pure a renewal of an analog classic as you could wish for, with the authentic, muscular sound of the original and the roadworthiness of a state-of-the-art modern instrument. In addition to sourcing genuine Prophet-5 hardware components, we did extensive research into exactly what made the original sound the way it did — warm, organic, and alive. We found that much of this desirable character was due to slight fluctuations and differences in the response times and frequencies of the individual VCOs, filters, envelopes, and amplifiers from voice to voice. To give the same mojo to the new Prophet-5, we created the Vintage knob. Use it to dial in as much old-school randomness as you’d like. Go from a very stable “4” — as in Prophet-5 Rev4, which is how we refer to the new version in house — all the way to “1,” as in Prophet-5 Rev1, the rarest and most temperamental of all Prophet-5s.
In addition to the unmistakable tone of its oscillators and filters, much of the classic sound of Prophet-5 was the result of Poly Mod, which is faithfully present here as well. True to the original, modulation sources are Filter Envelope and Oscillator B. Destinations include Oscillator A frequency, Oscillator A pulse width, and low-pass filter. The range of sounds possible defy its simplicity. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which now features configurable voice count (1-5 voices) with variable detuning, and chord memory. And now Glide works both in and out of Unison. Though our mission was to make the new Prophet-5 as accurate, authoritative, and true to the original as possible, we couldn’t resist adding a couple of modern enhancements to increase expressiveness: velocity sensitivity and aftertouch. These enable the new Prophet-5 to perform in ways the original never could by putting filter sweeps, LFO mod, and volume changes at your fingertips. The purity of the new Prophet’s sound is matched only by its simplicity to program. The knob-per-function front panel gives you instant gratification and immediate access to all sound-shaping controls. Included are 200 permanent factory programs and 200 rewritable user programs, including the original 40-program sound set from 1978 that found its way onto countless recordings and film soundtracks back in the day and beyond.
• Two authentic CEM 3340 VCOs per voice
• Four-pole, resonant, low-pass filter per voice
• Switchable between authentic versions of the Prophet-5 Rev1/2 filter and Prophet-5 Rev3 filter
• Four-stage Filter & Amp(ADSR) envelope generators
• *Vintage Knob: Recreates the characteristics of various Prophet-5 models by varying the behavior of oscillators, envelopes, amplifiers, and other parameters. Go from a very stable “4” — as in Prophet-5 Rev4, (the new version) — all the way to “1,” as in Prophet-5 Rev1, the rarest and most temperamental of all Prophet-5s.
• Full-sized, semi-weighted, premium Fatar 5-octave keyboard with velocity and aftertouch. Polyphonic glide
• 200 user and 200 factory programs in 5 banks of 40 programs each
• Direct program access, including Prophet 5-style single-button access to the current set of 8 programs
• Mono output (1 x 1/4” phone jack)
• Headphone output (stereo, 1/4” phone jack)
• MIDI in, out, and thru ports, USB
• Dimensions: 37.5” L x 16.4 W x 4.9″ H
• Weight: 31 lbs