Arturia MicroFreak, PRE-ORDER
Experimental Hybrid Synth
A synthesizer like no other, MicroFreak is a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician. It blends wavetable and digital oscillators with analog filters. It features a unique poly-aftertouch flat keyboard. It adds controlled randomness to sequences. This isn’t a revolution, it’s a mutiny.
This out-there little music machine features a versatile digital oscillator so you can create rare and interesting sounds with ease. Modes like Texturer, Karplus Strong, Harmonic OSC, and Superwave give adventurous musicians the chance to explore totally new, unheard possibilities. Like having dozens of synths in just one instrument, both wild-eyed newcomers and seasoned professionals will fall in love with MicroFreak’s flexible, powerful synth engine.
Even though MicroFreak has a digital oscillator at its heart, “opposites attract” as the saying goes. That’s why we’ve included a lush-sounding analog filter. Inspired by the trailblazing 12-dB Oberheim SEM filter, you can make MicroFreak’s filter scream or whisper to taste. The filter is state-variable, and can even auto-oscillate! You can use this is any way you like, from taking the edge of the razor-sharp wavetable sounds, or automating the cutoff by modulating it with keyboard pressure or the in-built sequencer.
Record up to four automations, edit notes per step or use the innovative Spice and Dice sequencer functions to find happy accidents. Add randomization to create evolving, original patterns, and virtually rewire and reconfigure its signal chain and controls with the 5x7 modulation matrix.
You can also use its USB, MIDI, and CV outputs to control instruments in your DAW and modular synths. This also means that you can also use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch with cutting edge software instruments.
MicroFreak’s tactile interface is like nothing you’ve ever used before. A flat, touch-sensitive keyboard with no moving parts may seem alien, but it feels so natural to use. The 25-key printed circuit board not only track the notes you play with lightning-speed, but can also detect pressure and aftertouch on each note individually. This has some exciting applications within MicroFreak itself, but also for MPE and polyphonic aftertouch-enabled virtual instruments when MicroFreak is used as a MIDI controller.
• Synthesizer with 192 preset slots and 128 factory presets
• 11 Digital oscillators with variable modes, with integrated open source Plaits engine created by Mutable Instruments
• Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
• ADSR envelope
• Cycling Envelope offering two modes - Env/LFO
• LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
• Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
• Monophonic or Paraphonic modes - Up to 4 voices
• 25-key capacitive key-bed with polyphonic aftertouch, Capacitive touch strip
• Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
• Arpeggiator - up, order, random, pattern modes, spice & dice gate randomizers
• 64-step sequencer - 2 patterns per preset / 4 automatic tracks per preset
• CV / Gate / Mod outputs
• USB, Clock and MIDI in and out
• 6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output
• Size: 12.2 x 9.2 x 2.2 inches (311 x 233 x 55mm)
• Weight: 2.3 lbs. (1.02 Kg)
• Power: Power supply