EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath V3
Enhanced Otherworldly Reverberator
The Afterneath sounds a lot like it looks – a wizard bursting forth from ethereal cave and ready for the ambient battle. You are the wizard – or sorceress, if you prefer – and the cave is your instrument’s signal, vast, expansive, and magical. A swarm of short digital delays which may be used to create wild and cavernous reverbs, or scattered, short, rhythmic delays with bizarre characteristics.
You have seven spells at your disposal
• “Length” which controls the decay length of the reverb? What about “Diffuse,” which adjusts the spread of the reverb? With the knob turned counterclockwise, the reverb is sharper with more attack, resulting in a stuttering sputter of individual early reflections. Clockwise casts a washy, more ambient-sound
• With “Dampen" you notice that a counterclockwise variation of this knob results in brighter tones, while as you rotate it clockwise you hear darker tones with a mellower top-end
• "Drag" separates the individual digital delay lines, literally dragging them through the very fabric of time and space towards an unknown event horizon from which they may never return. Clockwise “Drag” positions will gather the delay lines close together for a more reverb-like effect. Turn the “Drag” counterclockwise, and the delay lines will begin to pull apart for a scattered ping-pong delay effect.
• The Drag can be put under voltage or expression control using the “EXP” jack located on the side and operates in 9 different modes which are selected by the small “Mode” control. These modes are: Unquantized, Unquantized with slew, Unquantized volt/octave, Chromatic scale, Major scale, Minor scale, Pentatonic scale, Octaves & fifths and Octaves. These modes drastically change the way the Drag control functions, especially while using an expression control or CV.
• The “Reflect” alters the depth of the cave, and with it the regeneration of the reverb. This acts as a feedback control and will self-oscillate if cast by a high-level user. Turn clockwise for more wash and echoes, counterclockwise for less.
• Finally, the “Mix” alters the alchemical balance between the input signal and the effect. The Afterneath does not go fully wet but does lower the level of the input signal as you raise this control to create the appearance of a fully wet reverb.
• The Afterneath is factory set in “tails mode.” This means that the wet signal will naturally decay and slowly fade to silence after the effect is switched off.
• Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.50 x 2.25 in.
• Weight: ?
In the Box
• The Pedal Itself